Political leadership in this Parliament is essential if the UK is to achieve the ambitious targets set out by Parliament in the Climate Change Act and secure the economic benefits of a rapid transition to a low carbon economy.
To help MPs lead this vital agenda at national and constituency level, Green Alliance and Ashridge Business School have established a Climate Leadership Programme.
This is a unique partnership designed to help MPs develop the knowledge, networks and understanding to take positive action on climate change during a time of economic uncertainty and financial austerity. It aims to:
- Allow politicians to strengthen their understanding of the science, policy and politics of climate change;
- Help each party to develop a committed new cohort of MPs who will lead the way;
- Enable politicians to develop strong networks with thought leaders, practitioners and influential institutions who can help them make a real difference on this crucial agenda.
Following a successful pilot phase with prospective parliamentary candidates before the election, our Climate Leadership Programme has a number of elements:
- Short intensive workshop sessions for small groups of new MPs from each party;
- Formal events such as a private dinner with Fellows of the Royal Society;
- A short briefing on the science of climate change;
- On-going tailored support, informal advice and collaborative working.
In November 2010 we held two afternoon workshops with input from leading practitioners, scientists and policy experts. Greg Barker MP, Minister of State for Climate Change, joined Conservative MPs for a dinner discussion focussing on the politics and political opportunities offered by this agenda. Liberal Democrats were joined by Rt Hon Chris Huhne MP, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change.
In March 2011 we held a similar session with Labour MPs, in which Meg Hillier MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, and Luciana Berger MP, Shadow Minister for Climate Change, joined the MPs for a dinner discussion. Read more about all three sessions here.